Food Hygiene Course – Level 2 City & Guilds
The food safety & hygiene course is aimed at anyone working in the food and drink industry to provide compliance with national occupational standards and EU Regulation 852/2004. Upon successful completion, you will receive a City & Guilds Accredited Level 2 Certificate in Food Safety and Hygiene.
Learners gain essential understanding of food safety, in areas such as temperature control and the handling and storage of different food types, and are confident in fulfilling their responsibility to provide consumers with safe, high quality food.
Any Role Involving Food
The food hygiene course is for anyone working in a role that involves contact with food, or the management of such people; regulations require that anyone involved in food handling must be appropriately trained in food safety. The food hygiene course can be used either as an induction, awareness, refresher or foundation training to meet health and safety requirements.
Businesses are legally obliged to ensure staffs who handle food are supervised, instructed and trained in food safety & hygiene. It allows every business, regardless of size, to provide all staff with first class training at a fraction of the cost and disruption of classroom based training.
Overview of the Food Hygiene Course
Upon completion of this module learners will have an understanding of key food safety issues, including the three main types of food safety hazard, their sources and methods of control.
Learners will know the correct temperatures needed for storage and food handling activities from delivery through to sale, and be aware of common food pests and how to control them, along with the principles of cleaning and disinfection and how these apply in the workplace.
Benefits of Good Food Hygiene
- Display your staffs food safety & hygiene certificates in your business for consumers peace of mind
- Know that your business complies with food & safety regulations and staff know how to handle food safely and hygienically
- Minimise risks to your business and its customers, can help reduce insurance premiums with correct training certifications
The Food Hygiene Course Covers
- Learning Objectives and an introduction to Food Safety and Hygiene – Food Safety and Hygiene are terms commonly used, here we will look at how they relate to food that has been prepared and served.
- Impact of Food-Borne Illness – looking at what food-borne illnesses are and how they affect us.
- Understanding Food Law – food often has a long journey from growing, harvesting, delivery, preparation through to being eaten. As a result there are many opportunities for it to become contaminated. In this section we look at legislation in place that relates to food hygiene and safety.
- Food Safety Hazards and Contamination – exploring food safety hazards and how they arise and consider how they can be prevented and controlled.
- Food Preservation, Storage and Temperature Control – how to preserve food, including appropriate storage and temperature controls.
- Personal Hygiene – this section looks at why personal hygiene is so important when working with food – from hand washing to legal requirements.
- Hygienic Premises and Equipment – this section looks at good housekeeping and the part premises and equipment design play in maintaining clean, pest-free conditions.
- Hazards Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) – it is a requirement of regulations that all businesses implement and maintain a documented Food Safety Management system based on HACCP. This section looks at what this involves.
When you have successfully completed your course and attained the 75% required test pass, you will receive a City & Guilds Accredited Certificate. Certificates are of extremely high quality and carry an authorisation seal to be displayed in the workplace or included in your job portfolio.
How long does the Food Hygiene Course take?
The food hygiene course should take approximately 2-3 hours to complete. As an e-learning module you can complete this training in convenient stages, so you can take breaks or complete it over time. The system will record your progress throughout. You are required to achieve a 75% pass mark, and, if necessary, may attempt the test 3 times at no extra cost, having revisited the training material. If you do not achieve the 75% pass mark, further attempts may be given by talking to our support tutors.
Take the Food Hygiene Course in our learning centre in Rhyl, North Wales
Call us on 01745 350765 or contact us to book or find out any further information. You can attend our learning centre or we can deliver the food hygiene course in-house or to suit your requirements, with our mobile learning centre and support tutors.