This course is for people who would like to learn about coppicing. It is an accredited course and you will receive an Agored OCN Level 1 worth 3 credits for the Introduction to Coppicing.
- Understand the principles of coppicing
- State the simple nutrient cycle of the tree and its method of wood production
- List the main features of coppiced woodland
- Describe coppice rotation
- Understand that there is a range of tree species suitable for coppicing
- Identify three trees on site suitable for coppicing
- Give a use and an identification feature of the identified trees
- Understand how to select and maintain coppicing tools
- Identify the main coppicing tools and their uses
- Sharpen a small tool
- Demonstrate safe and effective use of coppicing tools
- Cut down a small tree with a bowsaw using the correct procedure
- Sned tree with billhook
- Sort material into appropriate piles
- Understand the importance of health and safety in each activity
- Demonstrate safe working practice throughout
- Complete a risk assessment for each activity
The venue is the Woodland Skills Centre at the Warren Woods, Bodfari. You can find out more information about the venue and a general overview of the woodland courses here.
Want to book your course? Simply call on 01745 334 482 or contact us
Here are some photos from previous sessions.